How to Cut and Donate Your Hair
We rely on talented hair professionals to properly cut the ponytails and braids that are then donated to Wigs for Kids. Whether you are a seasoned professional cutting hair for hair donations or cutting a ponytail in your own home, please follow these simple steps:
- Make sure hair is a minimum of 12 inches for proper hair donation length. Pull curly hair straight for a more accurate measurement.
- Hair must be clean and dry. Wet hair will mold in shipping and will be thrown away.
- Hair cannot be permed, color-treated, or highlighted. Temporary coloring or highlights that wash out are acceptable but must be completely washed out before cutting. Gray hair is accepted.
- Tie hair into at least four sections (six are even better) around the head for a more generous donation. Hair that is pulled into one ponytail or braid results in a loss of up to four inches of hair. To do so:
- Make a center part.
- Starting from this center part, part the hair over the top of each ear. This will create four sections of hair.
- To create four ponytails, tie the hair in front of each ear into ponytails, and then tie the hair behind each ear into ponytails.
- Make sure each ponytail or braid is tightly secured. Hair that is loosely wrapped tends to become loose when shipped, making it unusable. PLEASE be sure hair is tight and secured with several rubber bands 2-3 inches apart.
- Cut hair above rubber band.
- Wrap ALL ponytails in one (1) piece of tissue paper and seal in a Ziploc bag
- Mail the hair in a sealed envelope or a small shipping box (special containers or insurance are not necessary) to:
Wigs for Kids — Hair Donations
24231 Center Ridge Road
Westlake, Ohio 44145
MAKE SURE TO MAIL YOUR HAIR DONATION FORM, ID NUMBER AND/OR BARCODE WITH YOUR HAIR DONATION.
***Note: Please consider adding a small financial donation in with your hair to help Wigs For Kids with hair processing and/or helping to offset the $1800 cost of the hair replacement system.
If you use our online hair donation form and include a print out of your barcode with the donation you can expect a thank you within 30 days of Wigs For Kids receiving your ponytail. If you fill out a paper form without a barcode you can expect a thank you within 3-4 months of Wigs For Kids receiving your hair. Thank you for your donation!